Monday, January 11, 2010

BP3_2010011_DiscoveringWeb20Tools

When researching the many Web 2.0 tools I found it interesting that games were there as well. My goal in my career is to show that gaming can be educational as well as fun. One tool that I saw right off was Farmville. I have to say I am addicted to Farmville and to find it on the list was magnificent. I am not a K-12 teacher but during my building of my farm I have often contemplated on how a Math teacher could use the game in his or her classroom. The farm starts off in a 12 by 12 square. You can put anything on your farm. But for our math exercise lets say we are learning our 4’s. Have the student put 4 squares of plowed land by 10 squares of plowed land.


When I first learned my times table it went up to 10, but teachers could be going higher now. You could do the same for all of the times table. To build on the assignment choose a simple seed to plant, such as strawberries.


Have the student learn his 10’s by planting the seed and explaining how much money he will be spending on his farm for strawberries.

The game could be used for older students studying return on investment. The object would be to have the most profitable farm at the end of a certain time frame.

This game has math, communication, cooperation, time management, and more. I love this game and can see many more educational uses for it if one uses their imagination.

2 comments:

  1. I have several Facebook friends who are addicted to this game. Thanks to your post, I will now view it in a different light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I hear about lately is Farmville this, Farmville, that. I think I'm going to have to see what all the fuss is about, especially after reading your description of the game. I wonder if we can access this at school.

    ReplyDelete