Wednesday, January 6, 2010

BP1_2010011_iGoogleScreenShots

To be honest I never get into the home pages that the email services provide. The pages have been a nuisance to me. I have a MSN, Google, USA Digital, Entry Host, Microsoft Live and many other services that allow you to create a home page portal. It was all just too much to try to keep updated.

But now that I have set up the iGoogle portal pages I have changed my mind. I can very definitely see how it could be useful for not only me but a student as well. It does an excellent job of putting everything at your fingertips with the gadgets.






I use to have favorites set up with a daily ritual on updating. But with iGoogle no more going from page to page, now I can just go to one place. What a wonderful time saver. Many of the other providers I have used do not do such a thorough job in connecting to all the social networks and other Web 2.0 tools.


I also like the fact that this is for my eyes-only. Unlike Facebook or Twitter, I can put whatever I want and not worry about others seeing my typos, or silliness.


I am very excited about this tool. Our college is on Google mail for the student population. I am going to present it to our faculty as something that would be an asset to their curriculum and hopefully spur some interest.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree that I never really liked the "assigned" homepages that the ISP's rely on, and when I learned about iGoogle over the summer, I got addicted. I love the video gaming theme that you used.

    Hopefully you will get your college to bite. What I found really cool was that your school was already using gmail for the student population. That might be something that I present to my school as well.

    Looking forward to posting/lurking on your blog!
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear what happens if and when you do present! I am so glad you are finding it useful!

    ReplyDelete